About Houston Baptist University
Houston Baptist University (HBU) is a private Christian liberal arts university located in Houston, Texas. With its commitment to academic excellence and spiritual growth, HBU offers a unique educational experience that prepares students to become servant leaders in their communities.
- HBU was established in 1960 by the Baptist General Convention of Texas.
- It initially began as Houston Baptist College with only 193 students.
- The university is now home to over 3,500 undergraduate and graduate students.
- The HBU campus spans over 100 acres and offers modern facilities for academics, sports, and recreation.
- There are over 60 student organizations that range from religious to cultural groups.
- HBU's campus ministry provides spiritual development and growth opportunities for students.
- HBU offers over 70 undergraduate and graduate programs in various disciplines.
- The university is divided into six colleges namely - College of Education and Behavioral Sciences, College of Engineering, College of Humanities and Social Sciences, College of Business, College of Science and Mathematics, and the School of Nursing and Allied Health.
- HBU is known for its strong Christian foundation and offers several degrees in theology and ministry.
Grading and GPA System
HBU uses a four-point grading scale with plus and minus grade modifiers. The grade point average (GPA) is calculated by dividing the total grade points by the total credit hours of the classes taken. HBU uses the following grading and grading point scales:
- A - 4.0
- A- - 3.7
- B+ - 3.3
- B - 3.0
- B- - 2.7
- C+ - 2.3
- C - 2.0
- C- - 1.7
- D+ - 1.3
- D - 1.0
- F - 0.0
A GPA of at least 2.0 is required to graduate, and certain majors have additional GPA requirements. Incomplete grades must be made up within the next semester, or they will be counted as F's. Pass/Fail options are available for some courses.
Houston Baptist University is a top Christian liberal arts university that offers a wide range of academic programs in a supportive and Christ-centered environment. The university's commitment to academic excellence and spiritual growth prepares students for success in their careers and personal lives. HBU's grading and GPA system is fair and designed to ensure academic rigor and honesty. As such, students can expect a challenging yet enriching educational experience at HBU.