About Virginia Community College System
Virginia Community College System is a network of 23 community colleges spread across the state of Virginia. It is the third-largest public higher education system in Virginia and has been providing affordable educational opportunities to students for over 50 years. Some key features of the Virginia Community College System are:
- The colleges offer two-year associate degrees, certificates, and workforce training programs. These programs are designed to help students enter the workforce or transfer to four-year colleges and universities.
- The tuition fee is comparatively lower than other four-year institutions, making education more accessible and affordable for all students.
- Students have access to resources such as counseling, tutoring, student activities, and career services to support their academic and personal growth.
- Virginia Community College System aims to create a diverse and inclusive environment that fosters learning and provides access to educational opportunities for all students.
Grading and GPA System
Virginia Community College System follows a traditional letter grading system, assigning letter grades A, B, C, D, and F for each course. Each letter grade carries a certain number of quality points, and the cumulative grade point average (GPA) is calculated based on the quality points earned. The grading scale and quality points assigned to each letter grade are as follows:
- A: 90-100, 4 quality points
- B: 80-89, 3 quality points
- C: 70-79, 2 quality points
- D: 60-69, 1 quality point
- F: below 60, 0 quality points
To calculate the GPA, the quality points earned in each course are added together and divided by the total number of credits attempted. The resulting number ranges from 0.0 to 4.0, with 4.0 being the highest possible GPA.
Virginia Community College System provides high-quality and affordable educational opportunities to students in Virginia. With its vast network of 23 community colleges, students have access to a variety of programs and resources to help them achieve their educational and career goals. The traditional grading and GPA system used at Virginia Community College System enables students to track their progress and maintain academic standards. Overall, Virginia Community College System plays a crucial role in the educational landscape of Virginia, providing accessible and affordable pathways to higher education and a brighter future.