About the University
The University of Maine is a public research university located in Orono, Maine. Established in 1865, it is the flagship institution of the University of Maine System. Here are some key points about the university:
- The university has an enrollment of approximately 11,000 undergraduate and graduate students
- The campus spans over 600 acres and includes more than 80 academic buildings and facilities
- The university offers over 100 undergraduate majors and minors, and more than 90 graduate programs
- The university has a diverse student body, with students from all 50 states and over 70 countries
- The university has a strong research focus, with over $113 million in research expenditures annually
- The university is also home to several specialized research centers, including the Climate Change Institute, the Advanced Structures and Composites Center, and the University of Maine School of Law
Grading and GPA System
The University of Maine uses a 4-point grading system to evaluate student performance. Here's a breakdown of the system:
- A: represents excellent work, earning 4 quality points per credit hour
- B: represents good work, earning 3 quality points per credit hour
- C: represents satisfactory work, earning 2 quality points per credit hour
- D: represents passing work but below average, earning 1 quality point per credit hour
- F: represents failure with no quality points earned
- The university calculates students' grade point average (GPA) by dividing the total quality points earned by the total number of attempted credit hours.
- Some programs may have specific grade requirements for certain courses or overall GPA requirements for graduation.
- The university also offers opportunities for students to retake courses for a better grade or to request a grade replacement for a course.
The University of Maine offers students a comprehensive and diverse educational experience with a strong emphasis on research. With over 100 undergraduate majors and minors, and more than 90 graduate programs, students have a variety of options to choose from. The university's grading system and GPA calculation provide a fair and transparent evaluation of student performance. All in all, the University of Maine is a great choice for students looking for a quality education in a beautiful and dynamic location.