About the Naval Postgraduate School
The Naval Postgraduate School (NPS) is a graduate school operated by the United States Navy. It is located in Monterey, California, and has been in operation since 1909. The school offers a wide range of graduate-level programs in various fields, including engineering, business, and national security.
Some of the key features of the Naval Postgraduate School include:
- Small class sizes: Many of the classes at NPS have fewer than 20 students, which allows for more individualized attention from instructors.
- Focus on practical skills: The school emphasizes hands-on learning and real-world applications, with many programs featuring opportunities for students to work on projects with local businesses and government agencies.
- Diverse student body: NPS attracts students from all branches of the military, as well as from the private sector and international students from allied countries.
Grading and GPA System
At Naval Postgraduate School, grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, with A being the highest and F indicating failure. In addition, some courses may be graded on a pass/fail basis.
Students must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.0 to remain in good academic standing. However, for many programs, a higher GPA may be required to graduate or to qualify for advanced coursework.
Some other details to note about the grading system at NPS include:
- The school does not calculate class rankings or use the traditional letter-grade point average (GPA) system.
- In some courses, students may be graded based on their participation in class discussions or other types of class activities in addition to exams and assignments.
- Students who fail a course may be able to repeat it, but they must petition for approval to do so, and the second attempt may be subject to additional requirements or conditions.
The Naval Postgraduate School is one of the top graduate schools in the country for those interested in pursuing a career in the military or in fields related to national security. With its small class sizes, focus on practical skills, and diverse student body, it offers a unique and valuable learning experience.
While the grading and GPA system at NPS may differ somewhat from other universities or graduate programs, it is designed to ensure that students are held to high standards and are prepared to succeed in challenging professional environments.